thecutestblogontheblock.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Graduation

After much contemplation, I decided to walk for graduation this past weekend, May 5th to be exact. It was good, but I didn't feel too different because I have been done with school since the middle of December. People kept asking me how it felt to be done and I just kept saying that I have been done for almost 5 months now. It felt good to be noticed for my hard work though. So here is a little story...When I was walking into the Spectrum tunnels for the general commencement services, I saw this guy that looked so familiar and I couldn't put my finger on how I knew him. I just knew that I somehow knew him. Well, sitting there listening to the beginning of the commencement services, I was looking in the commencement booklet thingy and I saw on the schedule for the morning services was none other than Elder Quentin L. Cook! That is the man that I saw while entering the tunnels. I feel so dumb that I didn't realize it was him because I could have said hello and shake his hand. I just wasn't expecting to see an apostle there. He was getting an honorary degree in law (you know he, among some other apostles, is an alumnai of USU). Here is a picture of him, it isn't that clear but just take my word for it...

He is in the second person in the front row, closest to the plant



The general commencement went pretty good. The speakers were a lot better than Niels' commencement speakers, he was the one that even brought that up. In the afternoon, our family came for the college commencement service. It went good and seemed short (probably because the dean had an emergency to attend to), so there was one less speaker:) I didn't mind that. It was a good day and a long day but I am glad I decided to go ahead with it. Here are a few other pictures of graduation:

I love bagpipe music


The walk to the Spectrum


I am in the middle walking up the stairs to sit down (I'm at the bottom of the heads)


Sitting and waiting to start the commencement services



My mom came up after graduation for a few days, she left this morning to go back home. It was good to have her here visiting us. On Monday, we went to Shoshone Falls for FHE. We had a picnic and showed her the falls and a place called Dierkes Lake that is in the same area. Here are some pictures of that adventure:


The first 2 pics are the Snake River



Shoshone Falls


Mom with Shoshone Falls


Niels pondering


Dierkes Lake


It was good to have mom here. We are grateful she took the time and money to visit us here in Twin Falls. We don't see her very often, maybe one to two times a year because she lives in St. George, so we are nine hours away with her if you drive nonstop. It was a treat to have her here.

On another note...we are leaving tomorrow night to drive to the SLC Airport because we are going to New York! That's right, we are headed to the east coast. We are excited to go visit my brother Rick who lives there and to see New York. We are taking a red eye flight so hopefully we can get a little sleep on our way there (airplanes are the only places I have a difficult time sleeping, it's so uncomfortable). The next post will have to be about our trip and adventures out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment