Tonight I took the Burmese family that I am helping to the DI tonight. The DI and the refugee center here work together to help out the refugees that come here. You can tell that they do because they are kind and helpful and know how to go about things. I took the parents and one of the girls and one of the boys with me to it and they got themselves a whole new wardrobe basically. The clothes they chose were in such good shape and actually quite nice. Anybody who knows me, knows I don't like going into thrifts stores because A) it smells and B) I can't find anything that I would wear. But guess what?! It didn't stink like the others and they did have cute stuff. Anyways, it was a good shopping day. They spent less than what was thought and they shopped for only 2 hours. Yes, 2 hours is a long time, but getting quite a bit of clothes for 6 people, it takes a long time.
The best part was when we got home. It was like watching children on Christmas morning. The father started getting all of his clothes out and saying how it was his. The mother was trying on her sweaters and skirts and saying things like "Ooo Pretty!" One of the daughters was trying on some of her pants and shorts. She said something like "America is good!" They are so grateful to be just getting a little more clothes, even though they are used clothes. They feel so blessed to have so many things now, you can see it in their faces. They are just so amazing! It was the cutest thing that I have seen in such a long time about their reactions to everything tonight. I am so blessed to be able to help them out and show them around and to introduce our culture. I am grateful that I chose to help volunteer. We forget how great it is to have everything that we have in life, that we forget how wonderful those everyday things are.
This family definitely has reminded how blessed I am in my life to have a nice home, clothes, kitchen appliances, friends and family. These things truely are a gift and something that we shouldn't take for granted. How awesome are our lives?! I think we all are pretty lucky with what we have, even if it seems like we hardly have anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment