thecutestblogontheblock.com

Monday, May 19, 2014

New Animals

Niels and I got some more chicks that will give us eggs. We got 3 Rhode Island Red and 2 Bantam. We lost one Bantam, so we bought 5 more and lost 4 more of those. It was so hard! We tried reviving 2 because we found them when they were struggling and dying, but they died in our hands. Those two were the hardest of them all! I also found 2 dead when I went out one morning. We lost 3 in one day. That was one of the hardest days and hardest weeks of my life. Those baby chicks tug at the heart the instant we buy them.

We also bought 3 ducks. They are the cutest things ever! I have been wanting ducks the past couple years and I finally bought them! I bought them when I got the first 5 baby chicks. I was by myself and I went for it! I'll tell you what, ducks are the funnest creatures ever! They are so curious and so cute! They have gotten quite big but here is a picture of them when we first got them and then when we had them for 1 1/2 weeks...


 We also have 10 meat chicks. We will fatten them up over the summer and then Niels will kill them so we can have some chicken to eat over the next year. They have gotten so fat already and it has only been 2 1/2 weeks since we got them. Here is a picture of our new laying hens and meat hens. The meat hens are the yellow chicks. Also, there is a picture of Ginger looking in the box where the chicks were in. She just loves her little friends.


This city girl is turning into a farm/country girl more each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment