thecutestblogontheblock.com

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pioneering It

This past Tuesday October 16th we had a huge wind/rain storm. The wind was super fast about 70 mph. About noon the electricity went out. I went to town to have lunch because I didn't have bread and I couldn't heat up any left overs and then I went to the mall to kill some time and bought some cute boots. I was hoping that being in town for a few hours would mean that the electricity up and running again. I was on my way home, just about a couple miles from it, my road was closed but I went on it anyways just to find the reason why it was closed, a tree had blown over (there were actually two just about a half a mile to a mile apart on that road, but I didn't see the other one until the next day). I turned around and took another route home, which added about 2 more miles. Well the electricty was still out when I got home and I bet it was because of the two huge trees that blew over.

Niels came home from work and he decided to chop some wood so we could use our wood burning stove for heat and to cook dinner. After he finished chopping, we went to find the park that we were getting our pictures taken at on Saturday (our young women's fundraiser was family pictures for $30 with a disc of our pictures and we decided to get them taken to help out). Anyway, we stopped by the store and bought some hot dogs, buns, and chips to have for dinner. We arrived back to our dark humble abode and Niels started the fire. We used my hot dog roaster stick thing that I luckily brought up the a few months ago from my dad's place. Right as we were done cooking the hot dogs and started eating, the electricity came back on, which was about 8:30. If you do the math, it was out for 8 1/2 hours. Well, we decided to keep going about as if there was no electricity since I thought it would be out for the rest of the night. It was nice. After we ate, we just laid down on the floor and cuddled and talked. Then we did our family scripture study by candlelight and then we went to bed at 10:30.

During the evening we were talking about maybe every once in a while we should have a pioneer night and pretend we don't have electricity so we can figure out different things we can do when it actually goes out so we aren't going to town to kill time. We honestly didn't know what to do. Then we talked to Niels' sister Melanie and she even said we should do that (without bringing it up) and she said she would call us and say our electricity is out. That way we aren't planning a day, it will be spontaneous.  We are excited to find different things that we can do when we do this because we'll know of what we can do and enjoy having it out. To end, I'll post some pictures of that night.

This is actually during the day, before I went to town. This is our backyard view of the storm coming in across the South Hills.

Ginger didn't like the flash, she kept turning her head around when taking pictures

Scripture study by candlelight
 
Our source of heat and light
 
I liked how the candle looked melting sideways


No comments:

Post a Comment